Indicator 11 – Use Management Routines
Managing the Classroom
Managing Time and Routines
Indicator 11 – Use Management Routines UETS 3c.
Effective teachers are organized. They consistently establish, teach, post, modify, and re-teach their classroom routines and procedures.
- Establish routines and clarify your expectations for:
- Participating in classroom discussion
- Checking work
- Using time when seat work is completed
- Working in groups
- Using materials or equipment
- Getting teacher help
- Turning in work
- Practice activities and time saving procedures with students to make sure students know what you expect.
- Close one activity before you begin the next one. Give explicit instructions that the students can easily follow.
- Monitor students during transition; remind them what to do if they appear uncertain or thank them when they complete a procedure appropriately. Do not turn your back or sit at your desk doing other work, ignoring the transition.
- Consistently enforce, review, and where appropriate, modify rules for daily routines.
- Make your routines simple enough to be posted clearly in the classroom for constant reference.