Indicator 10 – Identifies Initiators of Disruptive Behavior
Managing the Classroom
Managing Student Behavior
Indicator 10 – Identifies Initiators of Disruptive Behavior UETS 3b., 3c., 3d.
Effective teachers immediately identify the actual initiators of disruptive behavior to show they know what is going on in their classrooms; they cite specific offenders and rules that are being broken.
- Scan your room frequently to make students aware that you know everything that is going on in your classroom.
- Mention a student’s name during an activity to gain the attention of a disruptive student.
- “While reading on page 92, Sally, be sure to look for the answer to the first question.”
- Move closer to misbehaving students.
- Use a strategic seating arrangement to help keep disruptions to a minimum.
- Move around your classroom during instruction and make eye contact with specific students.
- Look directly at the misbehaving student and wait for misbehavior to stop before you continue instruction.