Developing Thinking Skills
Indicator 17 - Illustrate Relationships UETS 4a., 3d.
Effective teachers help students gain a more profound knowledge of concepts by illustrating relationships in subject matter, especially by making associations and relating new ideas to past knowledge and experience.
- Illustrate relationships in subject matter by:
- Providing academic examples.
- Presenting previously learned material in a new situation.
- Discussing subject matter as it relates to students' lives.
- Explaining the subject matter in a context beyond the school.
- Use current events to help students understand new concepts.
- Use examples from stories you have read to the class to help students grasp complex ideas.
- Use analogies between everyday events and new information (how the construction of protein is similar to constructing a building.)
- Use artwork to help students understand historical events.
- Use objects students encounter daily to illustrate new math concepts.
- Use a podcast, slide-show presentation, website or other technology to connect the learning to the real world.